Friday, April 9, 2010

The DLB's Third Anniversary Post

Wow -- three years of blogging this Sunday.  Since I do not plan to write this weekend, I want to take a moment now to reflect on what the past three years have meant to me.

First and foremost, blogging has been fun and educational. I truly believe that, thanks to reading more, writing more, and interacting with pros in the business I have become a better adviser to my clients. Yes, the technical lawyering and drafting and stuff is very important. But I have learned much by trying to put on the glasses of your client and thinking practically, while also keeping that lawyer hat on.  That said, I know I am not the business guy, but I also think I can give better advice while at least keeping in mind that side of the coin. You just do the best you can.

I have also changed as a blogger, and hopefully for the better.  I get more news and posting from Twitter now than I do from the news or from other blogs. I do not know whether that is good or bad, but I know it is the reality of the situation. I am posting less, but I hope there is more to quality than to quantity. Just as I would rather have 1000 good readers than 10,000 not so good ones, I would rather write a meaningful post once a week than spew out garbage daily. I respect all of you too much to do that.

I've met, in person and virtually, some really great people in the field. I am still amazed that people read this blog or even give a darn about what I have to say. I have gotten a little bit of recognition -- or perhaps notoriety -- in the field, be it good or bad. Most people seem to like what I write, although you always have detractors. You just learn to be true to yourself, write what you feel and say to yourself that no one has to read the DLB. And I am okay with that. And for that matter, not everyone should read this blog. Yes, I said it before and I say it again: we have a self-selecting audience here of people who are commercial real estate pros. As I have said before, I do not dumb down what I have to say, even if what I say is sometimes dumb. There are plenty of blogs and news sources out there.

Has this been a great money generator? Frankly, no. But it did not take me long to figure that out.  I decided not to worry about that, to keep writing anyway when I had time, and to use social media as a learning and networking tool, not to mention as a conduit for my creativity in addition to my music. It has been suggested that I find ways to brand myself better and I expect that will be a future goal. I may not be the most successful dirt lawyer on the planet, but all in all I am one of the happier and friendlier ones, and there's something to be said about that. After all, life's too short, and no one ever said on his deathbed, "Gee, I wished I had worked more."

Last but not least, my thanks to all of you who take a few seconds or minutes from time to time to read my musings. I sometimes wondered, a la the musical 1776, "Is anybody there? Does anybody care? Does anybody see what I see?" In the music business we call performing to an empty house "playing for the walls." And yes, I've done that. While I sometimes felt that way here, too, I am reminded regularly that it just isn't the case. I hope you will continue to visit, and I look forward to meeting more of you in the months and years to come.

Best to all,

--David Stejkowski

3 comments:

Deal Junkie said...

Congratulations on the anniversary! Keep it up!

Chris Rodriguez said...

Congrats David! Three years is is forever in the blogging world. Thanks for leading the way.

Brandon said...

Congrats on your third year. As a new blogger myself, I know how difficult it is to keep something like this going. But as you said, it is very rewarding in an unusual way.

I like to think of it as having kids. Kids are a lot of work and can drive you crazy. But having them beats anything else in the world. Not to mention that it helps you become a better person. At least in my humble opinion it does.

Keep up the good work!

Brandon - (aka @PediatricInc)

 
-