Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Can't we just say the "R" word already and be over it?

Guess what? The economy ebbs and flows. Sometimes it is good and sometimes it is not so good. Get used to it. Bernanke keeps dancing around whether we are in a recession or not, and I guess I can't blame him. I would not want my watch at the Fed starting that way either. (And I am not a Bernanke hater either.)

Assuming it is true, and election year or no, I'd rather just say the "R" word and be over with it. Why? Kevin Kingston reminded us why back in November. (In short, the last four recessions were over or almost over by the time they were announced.) And we're seeing that again. So let's just move on.

2 comments:

Jeff Brown said...

I'm with you. First though, let's have at least half a recession's worth of consecutive months of negative 'growth' first. Since it takes six straight months for the big 'R' to be official, maybe we can wait to get half way their first. :)

When it does, if it does, your viewpoint should absolutely prevail -- just announce it and go to lunch.

David Stejkowski said...

You make an excellent point, Jeff.

IF it is there then let's say so. This is perhaps more of an ebb and flow situation, or maybe that we are just not in a crazy -- almost irrational -- growth spurt.

But the writing is on the wall. There's opportunity to be had and, as you stated in your excellent commentary last night, the big boys are buying. If that's not a clue I don't know what is.

 
-