Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Building green buildings

I am working on a project with Structured Development, LLC at Blackhawk and Halsted Streets in Chicago that is seeking a green building, or LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), certification from the US Green Building Council.

I have been trying to learn about how one goes about obtaining a LEED certification. As I understand it, you have to earn "points" based on about a zillion factors, including proximity to mass transit, green roofs, energy-efficient design and so on. If you want to learn more, read about it with me at this site. I find it all quite interesting and I hope to write more about this in the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi David,
I would highly recommend you find a LEED Accredited Professional in your area to help guide the certification process. If you go to USGBC's site you can look up LEED APs in your area. Good luck.
Julie Pearson Hawkins, LEED AP
Washington, DC metro area
D&R International

David Stejkowski said...

Thanks for the advice! Our business people do have an excellent LEED consultant involved. I probably should have said that I am trying to learn more about LEED for my own edification and for future projects than for billable reasons. I think this is a wave of the future.

 
-