Friday, May 11, 2007

Poor Frank Gehry


I mentioned recently that the Inland Steel Building is going on the market. Well, renowned architect Frank Gehry is none too happy about it. He apparently took a 3% stake in the building without using any of his own money (but lending his name to the deal), and now he does not want to sell.

I've never been a fan of this building, but I can see how it is significant, and I guess I understand Gehry's attitude. He loves the building and wants it preserved. Apparently he plans to donate his share of the proceeds to charity, perhaps because he considers it blood money.

As for me, I will make a public statement to Harvey Camins right here, right now: If for any reason you want to add my name to a deal (after all, once you labnr it, how can you forget it?), I'll do it for 2% of the deal, and I won't complain when you make me a couple hundred large for my "effort." Of course, I don't design bandshells in Millenium Park that look like an explosion occurred inside (a pretty explosion, granted, but an explosion nonetheless).

0 comments:

 
-