Friday, April 27, 2007

Shopping on a Ship


The LA Times reports that a developer in Santa Monica is making a lowball bid to buy the lease on the Queen Mary in Long Beach. O & S Holdings wants to "refurbish the ship and develop the landing as a retail-entertainment complex."

I used to live in Long Beach eons ago, and I was a regular visitor to the Queen, so any time I read about her I am interested. But this?

Ho hum. Zzzzzzz. Wake me up, Charlie. Haven't I seen or heard this several times before? The only thing I imagine going for it this time around is the revitalization of Long Beach. Come on, Disney -- yes, DISNEY -- could not make the Queen Mary work as a mixed-use attraction. The Spruce Goose even had the sense to move to Oregon.

Maybe if at first you don't succeed, try, try again. And the price is cheap. And I've always loved waterfront property.

0 comments:

 
-